Saturday, May 05, 2012

Thanksgiving Count Down Gratitude Chain


Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. And Halloween is pretty much my least favorite. The only thing I really like about it are pumpkins and dressing up. 

Tonight, though, we're going to a Halloween party with some of our favorite family friends. The plan is to share a meal together and do some craft projects with the kids.

I was thinking through a craft that I could bring and it occurred to me that I've never seen a countdown chain to Thanksgiving. Christmas gets a lot of countdown-chain love, but my dear Thanksgiving seems to come and go with just a few days of fanfare. 

So, I decided to make up a gratitude chain that can guide our kids in a prayer of thanks each night starting with Halloween (thanks for candy!!!) and culminating on Thanksgiving itself. 

My plan is to have them cut out the strips and glue them on to strips of pretty scrapbook paper, though construction paper would work, too. 

Anyway, I thought I would share the strips in case anyone else would like to join us in this new family tradition. My hope is that doing this as a family will help us to be more focused on gratitude and less on sugar, presents, shopping, and the other "junk" that tends to clog up our bodies, hearts, and minds this time of year.

If you happen to use the slips, I'd love if you would leave me a comment and let me know how they impacted your family!

LINK: Thanksgiving countdown chain (free Google Docs download -- enjoy!)

Blessings,
Jenny

No comments: